Music

Kanye West doesn't care about country music

pO157.

Posted to Music on Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 10:59:37 PM EST (promoted by port1080). RSS.

Kanye West is back in the spotlight again after a bizarre incident at the MTV sponsored annual "VMA music awards" show wherein he charged on stage and stole the microphone from country starlet Taylor Swift. The gist of his message was that he was aggrieved about Beyonce's music video "Single Ladies" not being chosen for best music video.

Taylor Swift was part way through an acceptance speech discussing how great it was for country music to get such wide recognition when Mr. West took the stage, her microphone and the crowd's attention and delivered a monologue which included the lines "I'm sorry, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time."

The gist of Mr. West's message was that he was disappointed that Taylor Swift's "You Belong with Me" beat out Beyonce's "Single Ladies" music video, which basically is an affront to film noir while depicting Beyonce dancing arrhythmically around for several minutes while admonishing her lovers to get engaged to her for some reason.

The media response was immediate. Some comentators declared West the musical equivalent of Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) who interrupted a speech by President Obama during a congressional address. Mr. West, known for such musical sensations as "Stronger," "Love Lockdown," "Gold Digger" and "Run This Town" joined a long list of awards show stage crashers whose cruel and tragic shenanigans earned them mucho negative press.

Kanye West is no stranger to controversy. He is also no stranger to flinging insults at the VMA awards. In 2007 Mr. West stated he would never return to the VMAs or MTV after a dispute over the setting for his performance. In 2004 he also crashed the American Music Awards stage, stating that an award for being the best new artist was stolen from him. Also, while MCing a request for Hurricane Katrina relief Mr. West spouted out that President Bush "does not care about black people."

Mr. West later apologized on his blog after being ejected from the venue. The message, which was edited from Mr. West's normal style of WRITING IN ALL CAPS was thus:

I'm sooooo sorry to Taylor Swift and her fans and her mom," he wrote: "I spoke to her mother right after and she said the same thing my mother would've said. She is very talented! I like the lyrics about being a cheerleader and she's in the bleachers! I'm in the wrong for going on stage and taking away from her moment!

Beyoncé's video was the best of this decade!!!! I'm sorry to my fans if I let you guys down!!!! I'm sorry to my friends at MTV. I will apologize to Taylor 2mrw. Welcome to the real world!!!! Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause ... well you know!!!! I'm still happy for Taylor!!!! Boooyaaawwww!!!! You are very very talented!!! I gave my awards to Outkast when they deserved it over me ... That's what it is!!!!!!! I'm not crazy y'all, i'm just real. Sorry for that!!! I really feel bad for Taylor and I'm sincerely sorry!!! Much respect!!!!!"

Tags: edited by Port1080, written by pO157, art, politics, Kanye West, MTV Video Music Awards (all tags)

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

port1080.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:37:09 AM EST

4.00 (presidential)

In a related story, apparently President Obama called Kanye a "jackass" in off the record pre-interview banter with a CNBC reporter.  CNBC apparently shares an unencrypted fiberoptic line with ABC (I'm guessing that perhaps they'll be re-thinking that soon...), and some ABC reporters listening in on the interview, but who didn't realize the comments were supposed to be off the record, tweeted about them.  This may be one case where Obama wins out in the end, though, since most people seem to share his opinion...

Allons-y!

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

pO157.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 04:12:53 AM EST

5.00

As funny (and candid) as that is it's still not close to the best Presidential out take of all time.

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

tomc.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 03:53:36 AM EST

Kanye hates white people's music.

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

pO157.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 04:25:31 AM EST

Hilarious wordplay, but do you think it's actually a racial thing or is he really just a complete attention 'ho D-bag?

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

T Slothrop.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 06:21:31 AM EST

I think it's a little of both, but more the douchebag thing than the racial thing.

[I'm not that guy.]

Liven things up

Steve Urkel.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 06:42:34 AM EST

5.00 (funny)

Invite him to the next awarding of the Nobel Prizes.

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

Thalia.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 07:15:24 AM EST

5.00 (astute, conspiratorial)

I've heard rumor that it was staged.  Which makes sense.  Taylor Swift suddenly was talked about by non-country music circles (although her music is mediocre at best).  Beyonce got to be all polite and nice, and again got talked about.  And Kanye West is in the news, and reinforcing his bad boy image.

Reminds me of the balls-in-the face of "Bruno" which was also staged.  Almost all publicity is good publicity.

Re: Kanye West doesn't care about country music

HidingFromGoro.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 04:31:22 PM EST

I'd be willing to bet the whole was staged.

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?