Media

Most Profitable Movie Evar

novy.

Posted to Media on Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 05:04:05 AM EST (promoted by port1080). RSS.

Sure, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" may not have sold more tickets than films like "Spiderman" or "Dark Knight", but it made more money on its first night and in its opening weekend than any other film has ever made.

But was it any good? [Spoiler alert.]  It may be earning 97% from Rotten Tomatoes viewers, and it may be best-reviewed film of this series, but not everyone has been completely enthralled.  Did you see this flick yet?  What did you think?

In other Harry Potter news, accusations that J. K. Rowling plagiarised another children's book when writing "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" have been dropped because claimant failed to come up with cash for his court-ordered security deposit.  Also, first-generation invisibility cloaks may already be available.

Tags: edited by Port1080, written by novy, Harry Potter (all tags)

Dreary rotter

Ephraim Gadsby.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 05:54:34 AM EST

5.00 (grumpy, astute)

The popularity of Harry Potter, which doesn't strike me as any good even in terms of children's literature, is an indicator of cultural decline. Last month I pointed out how much better popular music was in 1955, the movie comparison is just as unfavorable for the present day.

Re: Dreary rotter

Ephraim Gadsby.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:14:22 AM EST

Re: Dreary rotter

novy.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 06:49:22 AM EST

What, did Alf adopt another moniker since I was last here?

Re: Dreary rotter

Ephraim Gadsby.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 06:53:57 AM EST

Re: Dreary rotter

novy.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 07:18:49 AM EST

Thanks.  Sorry.  Think of my post as complimentary in that I recognised your style.

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

gerrymander.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:05:22 AM EST

I'll eventually see it, having already seen six of the eight. But Book 7 was a disappointment, a drive on rails in which no one did anything untelegraphed. Maybe on film it'll have more dramatic urgency.

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

Anywhere.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:14:09 AM EST

I think I was one of the few people who liked Book 7 better than some of the earlier books.  It was the only one that didn't follow the same set formula as the others (since it mostly didn't take place within the school) which I liked.

I agree, though, that much of it was predictable . . . but what do you expect from a Deus/Diablo Ex Machina-driven work.  The author knew where she wanted to go and she drove us there.

Phhhhft!

keta.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 06:07:20 AM EST

3.67 (canadian, grizzly, funny)

Poor Harry Potter.  Had to open against the Palin biopic, The Undefeated, and got absolutely hammered at the box office.

You'd think marketers would be a little more savvy in their timing...

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

MC Nally.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 07:48:44 AM EST

I read and enjoyed, but am not fanatically devoted to, the books.  I've seen each of the movies so far and while I get enough out of them to continue seeing them, I wouldn't be bothering if the movies were my only exposure to the material.

As the books have gotten longer and more complicated, the amount of material excised to adapt each one into a manageable-length movie has grown.  At this point the movies strike me as skeletal depictions of major plot events, with no connective tissue to animate them.  Since I generally could care less about what happens to Harry (he's easily the least interesting and, except for flat-out villains, least sympathetic, character in the entire saga and I half suspect he's intentionally bland and uninteresting in order to serve simply as a place-holder for reader substitution) the focus on ONLY major plot developments omits much of the charm for me.  For me the appeal of the books is in the humor and the random absurdities of the magical world, not in big fight scenes.

Saw it yesterday...

doom4rent.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 08:32:03 AM EST

Part 1 held a lot more suspense and emotion for me, a guy who has never read the books and won't. It was even somewhat draining and worrysome; I had a physical reaction to the film. Part 2 seems to, as others have suggested, travel from Point A to Point B in a logical and predictable fashion.

I would say some of the drama is leeched out of the finale by several flashbacks and expository sections that explain, basically, what will happen to Harry 15 minutes later.

That said, I'm pleased with how it ended. I think David Simon said something about how if you build a story arc, you have to finish where that arc ends, and I think you can say that about HP.

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

HidingFromGoro.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 at 05:54:19 PM EST

5.00 (gamy, astute)

lol call of duty black ops made twice as much money in 24 hours as this movie made over a 3-day weekend

and when modern warfare 3 comes out in november it will crush even black ops' sales figures

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

doom4rent.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 01:23:48 AM EST

"Call of Duty: Black Ops has surpassed the $1 billion worldwide sales mark after just six weeks of availability, Activision announced today"

Worldwide:  $481,489,427

---------

ie HP has hit half a billion in worldwide gross in a single weekend, and Call of Duty took six weeks to hit one billion. I think you were comparing the DOMESTIC sales of HP to the worldwide sales of CoD (which did 360 mil worldwide in the first weekend, while Potter did 160-something domestically)

And a copy of CoD: Black Ops costs 6X what a movie ticket costs...

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

improper.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 03:39:24 AM EST

5.00 (cherry)

Funny how both CoD Black Ops and Harry Potter are for nerdy virgins with acne.

Re: Why Do Y'all Always Bring Up My Job

uncarved block.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 08:02:42 AM EST

nerdy virgins with acne

A joke, and I get that-- but when it comes to Harry Potter, you are dead wrong.

Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam; e luce ad tenebras

Re: Most Profitable Movie Evar

MonroeTamblyn.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 at 12:29:54 AM EST

I think the movie was excellent. It is most profitable movie due to its characters,story line and special effects..

Kitchen design