Politics

Obama Supports Gay Marriage

novy.

Posted to Politics on Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:27:44 AM EST (promoted from Diaries by port1080). RSS.

President Barack Obama says he thinks gay marriage should be legal. He says his position has evolved since he took office.

Sure, Vice President Biden was there for gay marriage before Obama was, but advocates for gay and lesbian rights were pleased nonetheless.

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney hastens to disagree, reaffirming his opposition not only to gay marriage but even to civil unions. Meanwhile, one day before Obama spoke out, voters in North Carolina, which Obama won in 2008, constitutionally prohibited gay marriages.

Will this issue end up mattering in November? Will North Carolina's action be predictive of future political developments on this issue, or will gay marriages or unions end up being legalised in most U.S. states eventually?

Tags: (all tags)

HidingFromGoro.

Wed May 09, 2012 at 10:29:35 PM EST

5.00 (correct)

Here's a tip: unless he is promising profits to banks, big business, or billionaires; don't believe anything Obama says- especially if it's anything to the left of Dubya.

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

joshv.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 06:56:23 AM EST

5.00 (agreed)

The cynic in me says this was all orchestrated to coincide with the NC marriage amendment.  First Biden sets the ball and then Obama spikes it.

novy.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:28:57 AM EST

Cynic? So you think Obama wanted to go on record as being against what North Carolinians had done? I guess he doesn't worry about carrying North Carolina in November, eh?

joshv.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:35:15 AM EST

5.00 (astute)

I think Obama is a lot more worried about his disenchanted base not showing up Nov 6th, than he's worried about the few independents in NC for whom gay marriage is a deciding issue.  And it's not as if the far right could hate Obama any more than they already do.

I think this was carefully orchestrated and based on detailed polling data/projections of likely voter turnout.

HidingFromGoro.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:38:50 PM EST

5.00 (wicked, insightful)

Halo 4 comes out on election day lol.  The small number of 18-34 year olds remaining who are stupid enough to believe Black Reagan's transparent campaign-promise bullshit are going to be busy.

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

port1080.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:46:46 AM EST

I think Biden's comment was off-message, but that it was a cynical decision in response to that off message comment.  The decision was made that they'd damage themselves more by distancing Obama from what Biden said than from backing him up.  The optics don't look right for Biden's comment to have been calculated, though, particularly since Obama took so long to come out with this statement, and his initial comments after the Biden statement still tried to straddle the line.  I think they trial ballooned a few different ways to walk back from what Biden said, realized that they weren't going to work, and finally said fuck it, we're committed, might as well roll with it.  All that said, I think it's obvious that Obama has supported gay marriage right from the start - the political calculation was always him saying that he didn't (and, of course, the timing of admitting that he supports it).

Allons-y!

zyxwvutsr.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:51:20 AM EST

Anything that distracts from the economic news is a good thing for the Obama Campaign.

port1080.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:55:54 AM EST

But I thought Romney was responsible for what's happening in the economy - he said so himself!

Allons-y!

Ephraim Gadsby.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 01:11:15 PM EST

He was being squeezed on donations by the Wall Street sodomites and the Hollywood homosexuals who molested Corey Haim.

ThePlague.

Fri May 11, 2012 at 08:00:20 AM EST

More than anything, the man can read a poll.  Two years in a row with more support than oppose, that's evolution for you.

However, it's not about national aggregate trends, it's about the effects on November by state.  Here's an analysis of that.  I'm a bit mystified by the conclusion, as if the opposition movement uses this as a rallying point, it could swing Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina from their 2008 results.  That still has Bo winning with 277 electoral votes though.  Interestingly, there's a ballot amendment in Minnesota for 2012.  I doubt Minnesota would swing; Bo won by 10 in 2008, and opposition to gay marriage doesn't quite make that difference according to the available polls.  But, coupled with flagging support, it might make the state somewhat interesting in 2012.

the secret to happiness is to have you pay for my cocaine and mountain climbing-p0157

T Slothrop.

Fri May 11, 2012 at 09:56:11 AM EST

Hopey was never going to win NC again in 2012 no matter what happened. It was only a "perfect storm" set of circumstances - exasperation with Shrub, a horribly inept McCain organization in the state, and some congressional contest oddities - that gave NC to Obama in 2008. And even will that, he only won by 14,000 votes out of 4.3 million votes cast.

[I'm not that guy.]

thefadd.

Sat May 12, 2012 at 05:19:47 PM EST

Thanks for the idea...I keep living in useless vote states but I should move back to NC for November.

I HAD HAD SEX WITH HUNTER S THOMPSON. HE CAME IN MY MOUTH AND I SWALLOWED IT. I SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS BABY. WE WOULD BE BALLIN' LIKE KOBE'S SON!!

Gaius Petronius.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 09:58:47 AM EST

5.00 (funny)

Excellent! Now he's caught up with Dick Cheney.

natophonic.

Fri May 11, 2012 at 01:45:10 PM EST

5.00 (texan, insightful)

Perhaps that's why Fox News reconsidered their headline on this story. Especially since Obama's stance appears to be the same 'states rights' position that Cheney took years ago.

I remember a lot of people complaining that Cheney wouldn't have come to that conclusion if his own daughter hadn't been gay. Yeah, well, I never saw the point of individuals owning guns until I moved to Texas.

In a way, this speaks even better for Dick Cheney. He could simply stay mute on the matter, but certainly has enough money to support a nice lifestyle for his daughter, her partner, and his grandkids in whatever part of the world would be most legally-tolerant toward them... and still hop on a private jet and visit the grandkids whenever he wanted. He also has the resources to insure that his kids wouldn't see any disadvantages of living in a no-gay-marriage state; you really think Dick Fucking Cheney couldn't pull strings at an adoption agency or at a hospital to secure visitation rights for his daughter or her partner?

gerrymander.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 11:01:08 AM EST

3.00 (astute, funny)

That speech is the sound of a lost election. No amount of pro-gay marriage money would allow Obama to afford 20% of the black vote to stay home this November. I doubt they would vote against him, but decreased voter turnout matters.

As for whether or not the NC amendment is predictive, I suspect that's in the hands of gay activists. The most recent Gallup poll shows them losing a small amount (3%) of support from the previous year. The more they express open contempt for religion and intolerance for opposing speech, the more middle-of-the-road people will turn against them.

MC Nally.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 12:12:09 PM EST

5.00 (astute)

Perhaps I'm being overly literal, but before I describe a politician as "supporting" something I expect to see commitment to the issue and steps towards concrete action.  With that in mind, I have yet to see any "support" here.

On the other hand if you wish to say "Obama tepidly acknowledges allowing gay partners access to marriage might be a good idea" you can do so without further objection from me.

Tim Burr.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 01:18:13 PM EST

5.00 (astute)

I seriously doubt that voter turnout will be diminished due to President Obama stating he openly supports same sex marriage. Quite the opposite will happen. This sort of leadership has been long overdue.

Below is a paragraph from the 5/9/2012 NYTimes editorial that sums up the Presidents statement as well as any I've read:

"I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," with those 10 words, President Obama finally stopped temporizing and "evolving" his position on same-sex marriage and took the moral high ground on what may be the great civil rights struggle of our time. His words will not end the bitter fight over marriage rights, which we fear will continue for years to come. But they were of great symbolic value, and perhaps more. As Mayor Michael Bloomberg noted, no expansion of rights embraced by a president has failed to become the law of the land.

Where presidential politics are concerned, Romney now must convince us being gay is being a second class citizen. And he nust convince us how in the world same sex couples getting married detracts us from our existence? Another opportunity to conjure up his mystical 8 ball/etch-a-sketch/mommy jeans/severely conservative lunacy.

arromdee.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 02:19:15 PM EST

It's also true that no program to give everyone a free iPad, which was embraced by a president, has failed to become the law of the land.

Honestly, how often does the president ever embrace an expansion of rights?

Tim Burr.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 02:36:59 PM EST

Hey, that's sassy!

Honestly, how often does the president ever embrace an expansion of rights?

I think the key word missing from Mayor Bloombergs statement is "Equal".

thefadd.

Sat May 12, 2012 at 05:22:15 PM EST

You listen to NPR don't you?

HidingFromGoro.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 10:40:49 PM EST

5.00 (astute)

I expect to see commitment to the issue and steps towards concrete action

You're talking about Obama, so unless it's a tax cut for the rich or a handout to big business, don't hold your breath.

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

Ephraim Gadsby.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 01:39:34 PM EST

joshv.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 03:17:28 PM EST

Wow, he is a real friend to the Gays.

ms sue.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 03:52:02 PM EST

Too bad some of his school chums weren't Gays.

Troubling

Ephraim Gadsby.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 04:11:21 PM EST

Others noticed a distance between themselves and Romney...Friedemann felt that distance; their friendship was confined to the dorms. When Romney left the campus on weekends, he never invited him. "I didn't quite fit into the social circle. I didn't have a car when I was 16," Friedemann said. "I couldn't go skiing or whatever they did."

read this on fark lolz

improper.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:54:13 PM EST

5.00 (astute, funny, funny)

Nothing says "today's GOP" like an unwed teen mom with no relationship with her child's father sanctimoniously lecturing a happily married father of two well-adjusted, happy kids about parenting. - about bristol palin

Gay Marriage Spooge

thefadd.

Thu May 10, 2012 at 08:28:33 PM EST

My liberal friends have covered my facebook page in it.

Re: I was for it before I was against it.

Jackkeefe.

Wed May 16, 2012 at 09:40:30 AM EST

I have to hand it to this guy, he is an absolutely cold blooded manipulator.  As a black man, he knows his supporters will swallow unquestioningly anything he says or does lest they consider themselves racist. 16 years ago, Obama supported gay marriage.  When he ran for President, he decided it would be better to oppose it, so he did without complaint from his pliant worshippers.  Now, he's gay for pay again because his homo bundlers were mad that Dick Cheney was more progressive on the subject then he was.

So now he comes out and admits that after years of "evolving" his opinion has changed and now he supports gay marriage, again. While doing so, he admitted his  intent to lie about his view on the subject until closer to the Democratic convention until Crazy Joe Biden forced his hand early. More power to him, he can admit that he intended to lie through his teeth on an issue for political advantage and end  up  crowned the first gay President by the slavishly devoted media.  Does any promise he makes,  other than his commitment to expanding abortion, come without an expiration date?

Nixon was a piker compared to this guy.

Bluster!: An Etch-a-Sketch Tutorial (ages 7-12)

secretpath.

Wed May 16, 2012 at 01:12:41 PM EST

And those Obama supporters... egads! By now, they must be experiencing almost as much cognitive dissonance as Romney supporters!

...but since no one was listening, we must begin again.

Re: My only opponent is cynicism

Jackkeefe.

Wed May 16, 2012 at 03:59:03 PM EST

Right. Obama's campaign wasn't messianic in nature but was based on all of accomplishments before running for President.  And who can forget  Romney's  Riefenstahlian campaign rallies full of fainting  Republicans and rhythmic  chanting.

Thanks for buttressing  my point. After four years of hope and change, the only defense possible of Obama is "Romney does it too."   The self proclaimed "one we've been waiting for" indeed.