Business

Business Case Study: Whither the Best Buy?

pO157.

Posted to Business on Thu May 03, 2012 at 08:43:12 PM EST (promoted by port1080). RSS.

A valued member of the Best Buy computer repair team defamed a customer as a homosexual on face book and was subsequently terminated. This obviously brings up the tangentially related at best question: When will Best Buy go out of business and how can a company with such obnoxiously poor customer service control such a large segment of the market (link goes to source, in addition to a picture of a semi-comely lass). Here's more ranting internet people.

Tags: written by pO157, Best Buy, Annoying Stores, business, online retail, retail, corporate, would you like to buy a magazine subscription? (all tags)

port1080.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 07:31:08 AM EST

One thing I like about both Best Buy and Sears is their buy online / immediately pick up in store option.  You definitely end up paying more than if you wait for Amazon or Newegg or wherever to ship it, but if it's an item that you just NEED right then and there, it's worth it, and it allows you to do an end-around on the awful customer service (although to be fair my local Sears isn't all that bad - they get so little foot traffic these days that there's usually somebody standing around hoping a customer will show up).  Also good for items that aren't really discounted online (iPad, official PS3 / gear, etc.), so there's no advantage to waiting - might as well take the instant gratification.  Since Tigerdirect bought the Compusa band name and opened a store about five minutes from my house I almost never have a reason to go to Best Buy anymore, though...

Allons-y!

thefadd.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:17:43 AM EST

tigerdirectbougbt compusa? wow cool. I had no idea there were still compusas.

I HAD HAD SEX WITH HUNTER S THOMPSON. HE CAME IN MY MOUTH AND I SWALLOWED IT. I SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS BABY. WE WOULD BE BALLIN' LIKE KOBE'S SON!!

port1080.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 12:25:57 PM EST

5.00 (informative)

They really just bought the brand name - CompUSA went out of business and entirely liquidated and closed all their brick and mortar stores, and then TigerDirect bought the brand and made the CompUSA.com website a front end for TigerDirect.com.  When they decided to open up their own brick and mortar stores around the same time, they used the CompUSA branding, I guess because they knew TigerDirect wasn't a household name and it's not obvious, just from the name, that they sell computers and tech stuff.  As far as I'm aware though, the new CompUSAs aren't even in old CompUSA storefront.  We had an original CompUSA in northern DE, it shut down completely, and when TigerDirect opened up their new CompUSA, they went in a different storefront in a different area (in an old Office Depot, actually), even though the old CompUSA storefront was still empty and available.

Allons-y!

improper.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 08:13:58 AM EST

5.00 (agreed)

Best Buy's marketing chief resigned this week lol.

Best Buy will eventually have to move to smaller stores where they carry mostly major appliances (people still don't and won't buy those on the internet) and they were already talking about increasing the presence of their mobile/wireless sections where they sell cellphones and such. Whatever computers they carry will have to be exclusive to them to maintain a reason for people to come to the store. Think of Sam's Club and Costco, where those wholesalers get certain models that other stores don't get so there isn't competition from the internet and other stores. They do that with TVs as well. And of course they will have to increase their online presence, mostly by offering competitive pricing, because right now the online store aren't any better in pricing than the brick and mortar stores.

Best buy isn't like a Home Depot in the regard that there aren't really items that you need right now. Outside of major appliances, most items at Best buy can be found online at cheaper price and waiting for it isn't so bad because shipping time in the US is around 2-3 days at MOST. I get most of my items that I order from Amazon or other online stores within 2 days. It's very rate for a item to take longer, and when it does it's probably because there's a third party seller who takes a while to ship.

You might say things like wires or usb hubs or stuff like that you might need "right-away" but those things you can buy at Radioshack and Staples for probably cheaper and/or more variety. So outside buying a refrigerator or air conditioner, there's really no other reason to go to Best Buy. I haven't bought an item from a big box electronics store since Circuit City shutdown.

thefadd.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:24:10 AM EST

I bought a mouse at a best buy the other day but that was only because I couldn't find anywhere else anywhere near me. What I did notice though was some incredible prices on mini "blogger" camcorders beating anything I was able to find online in what I'm assuming was a loss leader ploy to get people into the store...or just ridiculously way too much inventory.

Shy Elf.

Sat May 05, 2012 at 06:24:16 AM EST

There's something to being able to go and put your hands on the stuff you're going to buy and see if you like it, and get it immediately, and return it with no hassles if you don't like it.  Fry's is way ahead of all the other brick and mortar stores I know of, though, so I'm not sure what Best Buy's niche is supposed to be.

HidingFromGoro.

Tue May 22, 2012 at 12:27:38 AM EST

I'll never buy another TV unless it's from Costco.  Besides being cheaper and having a better return policy, the display models aren't set to demo mode, so you can see what the TV actually looks like with regular settings.  Plus the customer service in general from the workers is much better than what you'd get at a Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Generally speaking, Costco is the right way to shop for the kinds of stuff they offer- roll into an unfurnished warehouse, pile up whatever you want or can afford directly off the pallet, and get the hell out.  I don't need a "shopping experience" or a bunch of advertising/up-selling when I'm just buying everyday stuff (preferably store-brand/generic) in the cheapest bulk packaging available- I just need CREAM SUBSTITUTE, DRY, NON-DAIRY, 5 KILOGRAMS or my BEVERAGE BASE POWDER, ORANGE, SUGAR-FREE, 5 KILOGRAMS NET WEIGHT and 48 BATTERIES, AA, ALKALINE, 2500MAH, M306 and so forth.

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

port1080.

Tue May 22, 2012 at 12:46:59 PM EST

Is Costco significantly cheaper than Amazon for that kind of stuff?  There's one reasonably close to me, but it's next to a huge mall and the traffic to get in and out frustrates me...I usually end up just going to the local grocery store and/or Sears (both about 2.5 miles away from my house) for perishables / too big to ship cheaply or Amazon doesn't seem to have a good price.

Allons-y!

improper.

Tue May 22, 2012 at 02:07:41 PM EST

I don't have a Costco membership, I use Sam's club. I would assume both are generally the same in terms of pricing, and so I would say, yes Costco probably is cheaper (when you include shipping or convenience). Also the Sam's club offers reduced sales tax or no sales tax (if you have a vender membership).

port1080.

Tue May 22, 2012 at 03:05:12 PM EST

Sales tax, what sales tax?  There are some benefits to living in the Diamond State :-)

Allons-y!

HidingFromGoro.

Wed May 23, 2012 at 11:45:50 PM EST

Yeah the prices are the same even accounting for the tax dodge (despite Sam's Club paying workers less and treating them worse).

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

HidingFromGoro.

Wed May 23, 2012 at 11:39:29 PM EST

Costco's going to be cheaper, and you can somewhat mitigate the traffic problem by going at different times of the day (depends on local demographics).

I got more styles than prison got bricks- ain't that some shit?

improper.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 08:20:37 AM EST

Also slightly offtopic: But I anticipate some type of national sales tax.

thefadd.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 11:25:52 AM EST

I'm not sure I see that happening without a bigger tax discussion.

improper.

Fri May 04, 2012 at 08:26:14 AM EST

Oh and about the homosexual facebook outing via Best buy employee... I don't think Best Buy should be responsible for that. Employee getting fired should be enough.